[Kde-pim] Re: KDEPIM 4.4.9 Available (IMPORTANT)

Gökçen Eraslan gokcen at pardus.org.tr
Sun Dec 26 12:50:08 GMT 2010

26 Aralık 2010 Pazar günü (saat 14:21:18) Markus Slopianka şunları yazmıştı:
> On Sunday 26 December 2010 12:02:15 Gökçen Eraslan wrote:
> > 23 Aralık 2010 Perşembe günü (saat 14:04:11) Max Brazhnikov şunları
yazmıştı:
> > > Can kdepim-4.4.9 be used with KDE SC 4.5 as well?
> >
> > Can anybody answer that? This is very important for distros using KDE
> > 4.5.
>
> Someone named Balcaen John already answered the question last Thursday with
> "Of course" on the KDEPIM list.

It would be better if he(Balcaen John) add packager mailing list to CC. Since
I'm mainly a packager, I'm following this thread from kde-packager mailing
list, and kde-pim is not in my list of subscribed KDE lists.

> That said, don't you Pardus guys have an automated build farm that would
> either build Kontact 4.4.9 successfully with SC 4.5 or not? Maybe you
> should modify OBS to generate your package format.

OBS may be modified for Pardus, I've been talked to Lubos about that but we
don't have time to provide a 'base system' to OBS guys right now.

We already have a buildfarm implementation and we're using it for years, but
packaging a software just to see whether it'll be compiled or not, is not a
good idea, since reverting a package also means effort. I'm maintaining
hundreds of packages, so if I try this for all my packages, all of my time
will go to experimenting and reverting :)

In release announcements, authors must specify software's dependencies and
compatible/incompatible points. There are still distros using KDE 4.4, 4.5 and
4.6 so, all users of those distros will try to use/package 4.4.9, so it would
also be good if you give information about that 3 seperate KDE versions in the
announcement.

> Markus

Thanks.

--