[Kde-pim] Re: Review Request: allow the client to fetch an item with a RID when he sets a collection

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Dec 31 14:18:02 GMT 2010

Hello,

Adding Mario in CC, I'm not sure he's subscribed on this list.

On Friday 31 December 2010 14:28:49 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2010-12-31, Mario Bensi wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > actually the client can't fetch an item by the remoteId.
> > This patch allow the fetch of item by the client if the collection is
> > setted on job.
>
> Not discussing the patch itself so just on the list: could you give us a
> bit of context what you would need that for?

The basic idea is that in Zanshin we're displaying a tree of todo items (among
other things) and this tree is based on the uids of the different todos. Now
for some operations it'd be just handier to be able to request those items
based on their uid directly... and it happens that in the iCal resource the
remote id used is also the uid, hence this patch.

> The "remote" values (identifier and revision) are considered to be only of
> interest to the resource in charge of the collection or item so maybe there
> is a different way of doing whatever you are trying to do with that.

Indeed, and so it means this patch is not interesting to the Zanshin case
after all, since it's not always true that uid == remote id. For instance it's
not the case for the Kolab resource. I think we'll have to end up listing
ourselves and filtering on the client side...

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net