[Kde-pim] Re: Failure of migration of IMAP accounts with disabled KWallet

Alexander Gretencord arutha at gmx.de
Wed Dec 1 02:52:00 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 30 November 2010, Guy Maurel wrote:
> > according to recent tests the migration of IMAP accounts fails
> > completely (it hangs indefinitely) if the user has disabled KWallet.

Big issue for me. I don't use KWallet. I actually type my passwords every
time, so naturally I disable KWallet, so I don't get prompted for KWallet
access all the time.

> - I can't migrate IMAP nor
> - I can't begin as new an IMAP account
> without using KWallet.
> Why not?

Good question! I think the KMail team should rethink this. I am not
comfortable storing my passwords in KWallet (or any sort of password manager).
And I am sure I am not alone in this (as your mail seems to show). Storing
them in memory, while the program is running for as long as the program needs
it, sure, storing them on my harddrive, all in one place, sorry, no.

Actually, from a design standpoint, to me this has the implication that KMail
should only store my IMAP password until it is logged in and then forget it
(and maybe use IMAP IDLE - if the server supports it - to keep me connected).
Is KMail using secure memory functionality (like e.g. GPG) for cases where the
password has to be stored in memory for longer periods of time (e.g. if no
IDLE support is implemented, or just in general)?

Do you (or does anybody) have any idea if something like that is/will be
implemented in KMail? Quickly searching bugs.kde.org on this doesn't show
anything, but I might have missed something, as the list of bugs containing my
search terms was quite large :)

Alex