[Kde-pim] First impressions and questions on PIM in KDE 4.5

Sven Klomp mail at klomp.eu
Tue Aug 31 10:38:27 BST 2010

Hi,

I'm using imap folders to store my PIM data. I updated to 4.5 hoping that my problems of the previous versions are solved. However, Akonadi drives me crazy...
I hoped that I can use KDEPIM as my daily pim application after the update to 4.5. The previous versions had problems when storing the contact details and calendar events on IMAP. However, I still suffer from the following problems. Maybe someone has some workarounds for me...

I added an Akonadi resource to the calendar application. However, it seems not to work (an added event is not stored in the IMAP folder), so I switched back to the old style IMAP resource.
However, this old style IMAP resource in no longer available for contacts. I can see two resources in the contact application:
- Adress Book with the sub-resource "myaccount/contacts"
- imap address book again wit the sub-resource "myaccount/contacts"

The second one is empty, if I select it. Furthermore, I cannot remove it...
I can add contacts to the first resource, but I cannot find them thereafter in the imap folder. Where are the new contacts stored?

>From time to time, Kontact eats my memory. I already observed this behaviour in KDE 4.4. It seemed to me to be related to the synchronisation of my PIM-DIMAP folders.

All these problems makes it hard for me, to use Kontact as my PIM application. Some crashes from time to time are not the problem. However, I have to be certain that my events and contacts are synchronised...
How do you synchronise your PIM data across different computers? Is there another stable way?

As you see, I'm a little bit lost. A search in the mailinglist archive wasn't very successful. Maybe I searching for the wrong words...

Thanks
Sven

P.S.: Why was the aspect ratio of the images in contacts changed from portrait to square? Since I added most of my contacts with 4.4 and before, all the images of my contacts are portrait. Today, I wanted to add a new contact and I can select only a square are. It is an odd decision, since most of the photographs of persons are portrait and not square...