[Kde-pim] KCalCore Ptr typedefs and constness

Sérgio Martins iamsergio at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 16:38:48 BST 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Bertjan Broeksema <broeksema at kde.org>wrote:

> To make the *full* api
> const correct, you'd end up with numberous of overloads which imo results
> in
> an api that is hard to read and hairy to use/maintain.
>

>> Hairy to use
>From the callers POV, it's the same, he doesn't even notice there's an
overload.

>> Hairy to maintain
Getters are usually simple, and i think we don't have many getters returning
pointers.

>> Api hard to read.
Qt seems to use full const-correctness for getters that return non-widget
pointers and the api isn't hard to read :)

>From QImage:
uchar *     bits ()
const uchar *     bits () const

So, to conclude this thread, can we agree on:

Adding the ConstPtr typedef (and s/Ptr/ConstPtr in some places)
Adding overloads

?

Alvaro, if you're not subscribred to this ML, the thread starts here (
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=128217840103573&w=2)

Regards,
Sérgio Martins