[Kde-pim] Alternative calendar dates

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 21 19:28:08 BST 2010

On Tuesday 20 Apr 2010 16:27:35 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> You have your man! Shall I write to you off-list on the topic?

Yes please, basically we need to decide how many different files to split them
into (Civil/Religious, Western/Israeli, English/Hebrew, etc) so users can
choose exactly what they want to display, select which holidays go into each
file, define what the rules are for each holiday, then make sure the library
can cope with the rules.

> Please do so in a fashion that does not make KDE 4.X unusable for
> users of that plugin, as was the case when Kaddressbook was rewriten
> and many features were missing. Many people depend on that plugin, in
> fact for at least two users it was the reason that they moved to KDE
> in the first place.

Yes, it won't be removed until we have a satisfactory replacement for both the
holidays calculation and the alternative calendar display.  The holidays
should be catered for by the improved KHolidays, but not until the user can
select multiple holiday files to be displayed (i.e. once we split Civil and
Religious into separate files the user needs to be able to choose to show both
at once).  The alternative calendar display is harder, I believe there have
been attempts before to show them in the day/month views like Outlook does,
but it's apparently hard to make it look good.

> I see no mention of that file format. Can you please link?

There is no file format yet :-)  There's a draft set of requirements at
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepimlibs/kholidays/DESIGN?view=markup, but
that's as far as it has gone.  Part of the reason for my improvements to
KHolidays to to find out what practical issues there are that a new format
would need to address.

> I doubt that it will be necessary to add support for them later. We
> can simply move onto the new, from what I gather.

True, it wouldn't take much for a user with a personal file to re-write it
into a better format, but an importer might be useful.  It depends on how
widely used it is.

Cheers!

John.