[Kde-pim] kdepim from 3.5 running within KDE SC 4.3

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 23 11:29:49 BST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 22. April 2010 18:59:53 schrieb Markus:
> I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. I think your approach is made
> from a point of view that KDE3 and SC3 cannot be installed in parallel,
> right?

Correct, SC3 and SC4 cannot be installed in parallel in current Debian and
Ubuntu packaging.

> Well, at least SUSE supports this by installing KDE3 packages to
> /opt and SC4 packages to /usr
> Configuration in saved in ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 respectively.

Debian package structure currently does not allow this, they have switched to
use a default. And of course it would be a drawback to configure resources
and other stuff twice. I am also not sure yet, what the right solution is.

> Current Kopete (1.0) uses AFAIK kabc and there are no firm plans to port to
> Akonadi (yet). So, once configured properly, Kopete 1.0 should be able to
> use KDE3 data, though I never tested it.

I need to think about what happens if Kopete from SC 4 want to access the
contact data from Kontact e35. Could Kopete do this with kdepimlibs from SC4?
And Kontact just uses the old e35 libraries to access the same data?

Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.