[Kde-pim] New application: Videocatcher

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Wed Apr 28 16:16:13 BST 2010

I can't find the original message, so I reply here:

On Sunday 25 April 2010 16:48:25 Markus wrote:

> Am Sonntag 25 April 2010 15:40:19 schrieb Jonas Müller:
> > Hi all
> > I have recently committed a new application to playground/pim. It's
> > called Videocatcher and is an Internet TV application (like a podcast
> > client but for videos). It is still far from done but should be in a
> > usable state.
> >
> > Currently Videocatcher makes it possible to subscribe to video RSS/ATOM
> > feeds and easily download and watch the videos. It works as a podcast
> > client as well, but I am only really focusing on video since Amarok has
> > podcast functionality. If anyone would like to see a standalone podcast
> > client feel free to tell me.

I use Miro for podcasts, and I think the handling of both video and audio-only
content in a single application works well. Personally I'd dislike to have
them separated. Why should one have to use separate applications just because
let's say a lecture podcast has video nor not? I want to track and
watch/listen to them in a single application.

> > The idea is to create a videocast client which is lightweight and
> > integrated into KDE. Lightweight in the sense of responsive and using few
> > resources, but also that it does not try to do things that other programs
> > can do better. For example by using external media players.
> >
> > I am wondering if there is anyone here who might be interested a
> > videocast client for KDE or have any ideas about the direction it should
> > be going. Is it a waste of time? Should it be a podcast client as well?

I think it makes sense to have a separate application for tracking and playing
audio/video podcasts, separate from RSS reader and amarok/<music player with
library>.

> > Should it be called VideoKatcher?

No!

Frank