[Kde-pim] Q about CachedImap code

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Tue Apr 6 20:42:43 BST 2010

Hi Till,

Thanks for your answers.

It's slow going for me, since I find kmail code not too easy to read (...
and I'm new to Qt/KDE, and it's been ages since I've used C++.)  I'll try to
persevere, though.  Any input appreaciated.

In case you haven't read my previous emails: kmail currently more or less
completely fails in terms of "ignore thread" functionality: if email comes
into a folder between "check for new mail" runs, when that folder is not
selected, the "ignore" flag is lost on all threads that get new mail.

I'm trying to work out the cached imap case because that's what I'm using,
I'm not sure if the other protocols are affected or not.  I'm currently
trying to follow the code to see how the flag is stored and, once I've seen
that, I plan to look into how exactly kmail loads a folder.  So I'm still at
the reading source code stage.

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 09.09:21 Till Adam wrote:
> [...] (I wrote the ignore stuff a long time
> ago), [...]

... and if you have ideas what could cause that bug I'd be happy.

If you look into the KDE bugzilla (#186853), the bug is by now quite old,
with a few confirmations, and nobody who actually could do so (more)
efficiently (than me) has stepped up :-(

From the way that it has been reported fixed and re-confirmed unfixed it
appears that it's a fragile kind of thing.

> IMAP does not know this flag, so if you want to store it
> there, it needs to be sent as a custom (kmail-specific) flag, which I
> think we do for "to do".

There's an "$IGNORE" flag being handled, I guess that's the one.  What
puzzles me is that the "mPermanentFlags" is not the same for every message
(Naively, I'd expect this to be always the same for a given IMAP server.)
I've put in some debugging output in KMFolderCachedImap::slotPermanentFlags
to check this.  Maybe this is one part of the issue, that kmail thinks it
can store the flag but then the IMAP server really can't?

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://www.pool.ntp.org