[Kde-pim] kdepim from 3.5 running within KDE SC 4.3

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Fri Apr 23 14:32:25 BST 2010

Am Freitag 23 April 2010 12:29:49 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

> > Well, at least SUSE supports this by installing KDE3 packages to
> > /opt and SC4 packages to /usr
> > Configuration in saved in ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 respectively.
>
> Debian package structure currently does not allow this, they have switched
> to use a default. And of course it would be a drawback to configure
> resources and other stuff twice. I am also not sure yet, what the right
> solution is.

Patching the KDE3 libs to allow parallel installation, obviously.

> > Current Kopete (1.0) uses AFAIK kabc and there are no firm plans to port
> > to Akonadi (yet). So, once configured properly, Kopete 1.0 should be
> > able to use KDE3 data, though I never tested it.
>
> I need to think about what happens if Kopete from SC 4 want to access the
> contact data from Kontact e35. Could Kopete do this with kdepimlibs from
> SC4? And Kontact just uses the old e35 libraries to access the same data?

Basically what both do is to just access a file called std.vcf. I don't think
that the VCard structure changed in the non-standardized parts (which
coincidentally includes IM chat addresses -- AFAIK the organization that
standardizes the VCard format never cared about IM data, therefore KDE
specified it on its own.)
Even Akonadi can access this file if configured this way in SC 4.4.

I suggest that you simply fire up VirtualBox, install openSUSE 11.2, update
the SC4 packages to 4.4 and also add the KDE 3.5.10 community repository and
just try it by symlinking if the std.vcf file is compatible between KDE3 and
SC4.4.