[Kde-pim] KMail Migration

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Apr 18 17:22:16 BST 2010

On Sunday 18 April 2010, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Volker, Casey, Till and I had a short discussion on the topic of
> KMail data migration, which I'll try to summarize here.
>
> - For reading old KMail index files, a new library like
> "libkmailindexreader" will be created. The advantage of a small
> library is that it is easier to unit-test it
> - After some back and forth, we came to the following solution for
> migrating the KMail data, which includes mixed mode trees (mbox and
> maildir) and the index files:
>   Kevin's filestore classes will be used to create a new mixed mode
> resource. The mbox and maildir libraries will be used internally.
>   The old maildir resource can be removed, everything it does will
> also be done by the new mixed mode resource
>   The old mbox resource stays around, since system mail is often
> delivered to mbox files.
>   The mixed mode resource has support for reading old KMail index
> files on the initial sync, so that the flags+tags can be migrated.
>   Advantages: No need to actually copy data around, the data can stay
> in the place were it currently is.

Sounds reasonable.

> - The IMAP cache of KMail 1 might not have been synced with the IMAP
> server - deleted mails: Not important, the user will get the mail
> back when migrating though
> 	- modified mails: same as deleted+added
> 	- added mails: These need to be found, as otherwise they will be
> lost. One can probably look at the X-UID header of the mails in the
> cache: If the mail was not yet synced, it is either 0 or not
> existent(?)
> - Cache migration for disconnected IMAP is very difficult, and not
> high on the priority list

The last two are both about disconnected IMAP, right? Probably the
easiest approach for disconnected IMAP would be to force a
synchronization (with the old code provided by a standalone migration
tool) and then, in a second step, do the import into Akonadi. Until the
migration is completed the account would be disabled or not available at
all in KMail.

What about the cached headers of an online IMAP account? What will
happen to them?

Regards,
Ingo