[Kde-pim] kdepim from 3.5 running within KDE SC 4.3

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 23 16:08:06 BST 2010

Am Freitag, 23. April 2010 16:30:34 schrieb Volker Krause:

> > How hard do those packages depend on kdepimlibs?
>
> In order of appearance above the features affected are rss plasmoid,

Seems useful without Kontact, thought e35 comes with Akregator and people
might want to see the same feeds in both.

> contact krunner search plugin,
> addressbook integration in kopete,

Only useful if the contacts from Kontact can be accessed I assume.

> no idea  about kgpg, kdepimlibs python bindings. Possibly a few more.

The bindings for kdepimlibs could be separated from other kde4-python bindung.

> > Are there other drawbacks except double configuration?
> > E.g. can the new Kopete still access the contacts from the old Kontact?
>
> For vcf and ical files that should work,

Sounds untested. :) Is there any locking going on if those two applications
work on the very same .vcf file?

> for Kolab as well in theory,
> although that would mean two local caches, so the data might not be in sync
> between KDE3 and KDE4 apps then.

Two local caches sound like a separate access not Kopete accessing the data
via the KDE3 kdepim.

This looks to me like a viable solution for packaging is

1) Separate out the applications depending on kdepimlibs from
plasma-dataengines-workspace and plasma-runners-addons
to resolve the conflict and do not install the -with-kdepimlibs variants.
Also for the kde4-python bindings.
2) Install the old Kopete. And the old kpgp if you must (Kleo should surpass
it hopefully soon.)
3) conflict kdaddressbook e35 package with kdepimlibs5

This means users would not have a modern Kopete and not all of the plasmoids,
but an old integrated Kopete. No need for separate .kde35 and .kde
directories.

I believe this should be prefered over separated config directories, because
separated config directories will not give the expected integrated experience
for Kopete and Rss plasmoids either, but would be more work given the current
Debian package structure. The plus of separated config directories would be
that you could use a modern Kopete if you wanted to.

Best,
Bernhard
Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.