[Kde-pim] KDE Addressbook on an Appliance

Klaas Freitag freitag at kde.org
Fri Apr 30 17:45:12 BST 2010

Hi,

I am currently trying to build a Kraft [1] Appliance running on
KDE 4.4 powered by openSUSE 11.2 with SUSE Studio [2]. Kraft uses
the KDE Addressbook, based on Akonadi in 4.4.

To provide good demo of Kraft on the appliance, I would like to
configure the address book that way that it comes up with a few
preconfigured contacts in it.

Basically I have two possibilities in Studio:
1. I can add so called overlay files everywhere in the filesystem.
I did that in the KDE3 version where I put std.vcf to
.kde/share/apps/kabc and added a kabcrc with the correct link.
With that, a starting address book loaded the addresses.
What do I have to put where in KDE 4.4 ?

2. I can start a script which could import data into an address book
either at the end of the build of the appliance or whenever the
appliance boots.

I tried a lot with 1. but failed so far. Maybe 2. is the better
approach.

So my question is if there is any scriptable possibility to:
- start akonadi
- create (or switch to) a standard address book
- import data from a file format like vcf?
so that the user, when he starts the kaddressbook in the running
appliance, finds some preconfigured contacts.

Help would be very appreciated.

thanks,

Klaas

[1] http://volle-kraft-voraus.de