[Kde-pim] New application: Videocatcher

Jonas Müller jonas.mueller at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 14:40:19 BST 2010

Hi all
I have recently committed a new application to playground/pim. It's called
Videocatcher and is an Internet TV application (like a podcast client but for
videos). It is still far from done but should be in a usable state.

Currently Videocatcher makes it possible to subscribe to video RSS/ATOM feeds
and easily download and watch the videos. It works as a podcast client as
well, but I am only really focusing on video since Amarok has podcast
functionality. If anyone would like to see a standalone podcast client feel
free to tell me.

The idea is to create a videocast client which is lightweight and integrated
into KDE. Lightweight in the sense of responsive and using few resources, but
also that it does not try to do things that other programs can do better. For
example by using external media players.

I am wondering if there is anyone here who might be interested a videocast
client for KDE or have any ideas about the direction it should be going. Is it
a waste of time? Should it be a podcast client as well? Should it be called
VideoKatcher?

Any ideas or feedback are greatly appreciated!

Videocatcher is also available from kde-apps.org: http://kde-
apps.org/content/show.php/Videocatcher?content=121556

Regards,
Jonas