[Kde-pim] kdepim from 3.5 running within KDE SC 4.3

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Thu Apr 22 17:59:53 BST 2010

Hi.
I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. I think your approach is made
from a point of view that KDE3 and SC3 cannot be installed in parallel, right?
Well, at least SUSE supports this by installing KDE3 packages to /opt and SC4
packages to /usr
Configuration in saved in ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 respectively.

Current Kopete (1.0) uses AFAIK kabc and there are no firm plans to port to
Akonadi (yet). So, once configured properly, Kopete 1.0 should be able to use
KDE3 data, though I never tested it. But I guess it would be relatively easy
to test on a SUSE system with KDE3 as desktop installed from the community
repo and then also installing Kopete 1.0 and then symlinking ~/.kde to
~/.kde4.

Btw, maybe using Chakra's KDEmod3 patches (which split KDE3 into smaller
pieces) would be helpful: http://chakra-project.org/svn/branches/kde3/

Markus