[Kde-pim] Plugin Question re Kontact Headers

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Sun Sep 6 13:16:50 BST 2009

Op Sunday 06 September 2009 13:58 schreef u:
> Quite frankly, what's the point in having two different mail components
> for Kontact. That's exactly the kind of insanity that I do not want. A
> plugin is useful if it adds genuine functionality that's not already
> there. Providing a plugin that is an alternative to another default
> provided plugin is complete nonsense.

Well, to be honest, I don't care about kontact much, but when I asked users what they missed about Mailody or why they were not using it, they said: kontact integration, so I implemented it.

I really don't see why it should be insane to have 2 mail clients in kontact, or better: to remove kmail in favor of another one. That's a perfectly sane request.

> Providing a KMail plugin and a Mailody plugin for Kontact is insane and
> wrong. There is no alternative mail plugin for Outlook or Thunderbird.
> There is a plugin for Thunderbird that adds calendering to Thunderbird,
> but that's genuine functionality that Thunderbird proper does not
> offer.

Because others don't do it, we shouldn't? Wow that limits development. I'm not saying 'bacause we can, we should do it'. But I find the current situation not good either. It smells a lot like a variant to the Not Invented Here-Syndrom.

> > Move them to kdepimlibs, make them
> > public, use /proper/ versioning, stay backwards compatible. I don't
> > think that's to much to ask.  Face it, nobody is working on kontact
> > so it is as stable as it gets.
>
> If you add an unstable plugin to Kontact then Kontact as a whole will
> become unstable because the plugin runs in the same process.

That's why I said proper versioning. If you want to make incompatible changes, make it so that kontact only loads plugins with a certain version number.

> I disagree that plugins are the right solution. But I have a general
> dislike for plugins. Firefox is a prime example. There are literally
> thousands of Firefox plugins. A handful is really useful, but it's
> almost impossible to find them among all of the other plugins. Those
> other plugins have just been written because it was possible to write
> them and because the person who wrote them thought he would need them.
> I doubt that more than a handful of those thousands of plugin
> developers have done anything to improve Firefox itself. So much for
> your theory that the possibility to write plugins will attract core
> developers.

Funny how we see it differently ;-) I think a large part of the success of Firefox is the possibility to make plugins and use them. I use a dozen of them.

Toma
--
KDE Developer