[Kde-pim] Mailreader status and RFC

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Sep 13 18:46:01 BST 2009

Hi,

Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> IMO MailViewer is way to generic as namespace. I suggest KDE::PIM::Mail.
> This namespace could/should also be used for other classes related to
> mail, e.g. the composer classes.

A little too deep for my taste, but I agree MailViewer is too generic.

> Furthermore, I suggest to call the main class MessageViewer instead of
> MailViewer (just as MessageComposer) since it's a viewer for a single
> message and not a viewer for all my mail. The library would then be
> called libmessageviewer.

Technically it is now a viewer for an Akonadi::Item holding a KMime::Message
or for a KMime::Message (and NOT for a KMime::Content, a message part). It
is possible to set it to just show a Content, but I didn't mark this method
public, as I believe it could cause problems, the lib is not prepared to
deal with a case when there is no Message, only a Content.

Btw I also like the MessageViewer name.

> That's the only solution that makes sense. The user of the library will
> have a bit more work, but he gains full flexibility.

I tend to agree.

>> Of course, sharing actions makes a lot of sense. An approach like
>> Akonadi::StandardActionManager might be better here, ie. making the
>> actions independent of the actual view and just operate on selection
>> models.
>
> Yeah, that's definitely a better solution.

I don't know what is there, if time permits, I will look at it.

>> Attachment-specific actions are different though, they aren't used
>> anywhere else, so having them created by the mail viewer should be
>> ok.
>
> Hmm. Does the "MIME tree view" still exist?

Yes.

> If yes, then I hope it's not
> part of the message viewer.

Well, it is. It is also possible to take it out, although that means the
above described issue to show only a Content must be solved. That tree is
now a model for a QTreeView. Taking it out would put the responsibility to
synchronize the mime tree with the displayed mail in the hands of the user.

> message list. Also in the "MIME tree view" one can select multiple
> attachments. So I'd prefer to use a similar approach as the one Volker
> described above for the message-specific actions.
Actually here is the problem that we have actions inside the libs that are
hard to avoid.

Andras