[Kde-pim] Mailreader status and RFC

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Sep 10 09:12:13 BST 2009

Hi all,

 in the past weeks I extracted the code from KMail that shown a message
in a widget and moved it in its own lib. This will enable using the same
mail rendering widget in different PIM applications. The code was also
ported from mimelib to KMime and it is Akonadi enabled, in a sense that
it can show right a way the content of an akonadi item, if that item is
a mail message. The code is in the branches/work/akonadi-
ports/kdepim/libmailreader branch.
 Although not perfect yet, and with some FIXME and TODO's here and there
(mostly related to on-demand loading of attachment and context menus of
attachments in the mail header), I think it is time to decide the next
step. Decision that  I don't want to make alone. :)

1) Where to put the code? The possibilites are: libkdepim, kdepimlibs or
remains where it is in kdepim. I think the best would be to move to
kdepimlibs in mid-term, but see 2).

2) The code is GPL licensed as it mostly comes from KMail. This means we
cannot move to kdepimlibs as it is. Do you think it makes sense to hunt
for the authors and ask for relicensing? Luckily many of them are still
active contributors (even if not coding, they are around KDE). There are
some persons I don't know personally though: Patrick Audley, Stefan
Taferner, Markus Wuebben .

3) Decide about the name of the library. Now it is libmailreader, but I
like libmailviewer better.  I even named the main class MailViewer. :) I
think the main purpose is to show/render mails, not to read them (from
akonadi).

4) Decide about the main class name and namespace. I removed all the
KMail namespace it was used, and now the main class is MailViewer and
the other public class is AttachmentStrategy (HeaderStrategy will
follow). Suggestion/preference about the naming? Note that the main file
name is kmreaderwin.*, I will rename as soon as we decide about the final
name.

5) We have to decide how much functionality do we want in the viewer,
mainly about the actions there. I think it is nice to have things like
attachment showing, view mail source, save a mail, etc. there. The
question is if we want to have default actions created in the library -
so the library user doesn't need to anything, still V will show the
message source - or we want just to have entry points (methods/slots) to
the library and actions have to be created by the user of the lib.
A third solution is to have the entry points and convenience methods,
like "createViewSourceAction" that returns a KAction with the default
shortcuts/icons connected to the corresponding slot (and gives away the
ownership of the action). Suggestions?

The code still needs at least an API review and will probably need some
additions to the public API once we start to port the applications to
use it (which I'd like to see soon, as it is a pain to keep trunk kmail
features in synch with the lib).

Thanks for reading,
Andras