[Kde-pim] Unittest policy?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Sep 27 07:05:58 BST 2009

Hi,

Thomas McGuire wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 26 September 2009 17:45:55 you wrote:
>> I decided to run the entire kdepimlibs test suite...
>>
>> This resulted in that after >20 hours I terminated the suite (almost all
>>  time spent waiting for akonadi tests to timeout) .
>>
>> I'm wondering if there is a policy about tests in kdepim[libs]?
>> Or if there isn't should there be?
>
> There should be. And the policy should say that the tests always have to
> pass. Otherwise these tests aren't useful anymore to detect actual
> regressions, if we have to always remember which tests pass and which
> don't.

I'd say, that if we have 600+ tests and running them takes 20 hours, the
tests aren't useful anymore. Even if running them takes 10 minutes you
cannot expect developers to run at every check-in.
 I'd say, you should run the tests for the module (sub-directory) you are
working on.

> Normally the Akonadi tests do exactly that, they set up an environment
> that includes a MySQL server and the Akonadi server running in an confined
> environment. If that doesn't work for you, there's a bug somewhere.

Although in the (distant) past they worked for me, I have the same problem,
it doesn't work now. Interesting is that running the test manually works.

 Here just a hint how to find out what goes on in a test:
ctest -I testno1, testno2 -V

where testno1 and testno2 is the number of the tests you want to run.

ctest -I 518,518 -V

will run the 518th test. ctest -N will show you the possible tests.

Andras