[Kde-pim] Plugin Question re Kontact Headers

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 6 12:58:24 BST 2009

Disclaimer: All of the below is purely my personal opinion. In
particular, I do not speak on behalf of the KDE PIM developers.

On Sunday 06 September 2009, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op Saturday 05 September 2009 21:50 schreef u:
> > The bottom line is that the development of Kontact plugins is
> > restricted to kdepim. So if you want to develop a Kontact plugin
> > then you should do so in kdepim.
>
> Great, so I move Mailody into kdepim?

Quite frankly, what's the point in having two different mail components
for Kontact. That's exactly the kind of insanity that I do not want. A
plugin is useful if it adds genuine functionality that's not already
there. Providing a plugin that is an alternative to another default
provided plugin is complete nonsense.

> This is insane and very wrong.

Providing a KMail plugin and a Mailody plugin for Kontact is insane and
wrong. There is no alternative mail plugin for Outlook or Thunderbird.
There is a plugin for Thunderbird that adds calendering to Thunderbird,
but that's genuine functionality that Thunderbird proper does not
offer.

> Move them to kdepimlibs, make them
> public, use /proper/ versioning, stay backwards compatible. I don't
> think that's to much to ask.  Face it, nobody is working on kontact
> so it is as stable as it gets.

If you add an unstable plugin to Kontact then Kontact as a whole will
become unstable because the plugin runs in the same process.

> If there will be a kontact2 based on plasma some day, make it a
> different app, with different headers.
>
> If you ever want kontact to be more successful, open it up to the
> mass. When the mass can work with it, there is a chance that you get
> patches and improvements from them. That's how open source works.
> Sticking it to a confined set of apps which are already ready with
> working on kontact means it will never ever improve much more as it
> is now.

I disagree that plugins are the right solution. But I have a general
dislike for plugins. Firefox is a prime example. There are literally
thousands of Firefox plugins. A handful is really useful, but it's
almost impossible to find them among all of the other plugins. Those
other plugins have just been written because it was possible to write
them and because the person who wrote them thought he would need them.
I doubt that more than a handful of those thousands of plugin
developers have done anything to improve Firefox itself. So much for
your theory that the possibility to write plugins will attract core
developers.

Regards,
Ingo