[Kde-pim] Plugin Question re Kontact Headers

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon Sep 7 18:22:00 BST 2009

On Monday 07 September 2009 4:37:36 am you wrote:
> On Monday 07 September 2009 09:33:08 Tom Albers wrote:
> > At Monday 07 September 2009 01:10, you wrote:
> > > Yah. However it appears the main Kontact developers just don't want to
> > > pursue that, doesn't fit with their vision of Kontact. Fair enough,
> > > that's their privilege and I don't want to waste their and my time
> > > pursing it. I appreciate their making it clear at least.
> >
> > I've not seen a reaction of the Kontact developers / maintainers (as far as
> > they exist anyhow).
>
> That's the real problem here. We don't really have someone working on Kontact
> and thus also noone who could make the interface public (which is more work
> than just installing the headers). I'm in favor of doing that as well btw.

I was the person who took the old kontact/interfaces and made it into
kontactinterfaces precisely for moving into kdepimlibs.  In fact, I had
it in kdepimlibs for a day or two.  But then at least 1 former Kontact
developer convinced me that this wasn't a good idea because

1) the API hadn't been stabilized or reviewed
2) we wanted to maintain control; we don't see Kontact as a general
purpose shell for plugging anything at all.

Basically, we figured any future plugins should/could become part of the kdepim module.

After all these years, I really think the argument for 1) is getting silly.

We can't stop folks from copying kontactinterfaces to their local source tree.
So maybe we just give up the idea of control and move kontactinterfaces
into kdepimlibs.  Or, we create a white list of plugins we know and take full control.
Or.. we do both.

The current situation isn't good.

As for summary plugins: I want the summary page to become a Plasma containment
and thus allow any old Plasma widget to go into the Kontact summary.  I don't really
care what people show in their summary.