[Kde-pim] libkdepim

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Oct 19 18:51:09 BST 2009

On Monday, 2009-10-19, Guy Maurel wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Why do we have a directory
>    kdepim/libkdepim
> as we already have
>    kdepimlibs
>
> What is the difference?

kdepimlibs are public API, which gets headers installed and guarantees API and
ABI stability during KDE4 lifetime.

libkdepim used to be the non-public (for use in kdepim only) library where we
put things our applications shared with each other but where we couldn't or
didn't want to commit to the stability guarantees.

libkdepim is now considered deprecated in the sense that no new code should be
added to it. We will most likely still have internal API but we try to keep
those in separate libs now to avoid creating another libkdepim "monster" :)

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring