[Kde-pim] KMail 1.12.1 question

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Oct 1 19:58:05 BST 2009

On Thursday 01 October 2009 18:19:09 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> On Thursday 01 October 2009 14:43:35 you wrote:
> > I really need to know whether I should bug developers or packagers about
> > my problem, which I've suffered, not entirely silently, for far too long.
> >
> > Every time I get a kde update that affects kmail I suddenly realise that
> >  once again I am sending html mail to lists.  I do not want html mail.  I
> >  make sure that I have set to not use html, yet every update overwrites
> >  this setting.
> >
> > Exactly who is responsible?  Who do have to nag?
>
> I would actually be surprised if this is related to updates, I'm not aware
>  of anything which would overwrite the setting. The only thing that comes
>  to my mind are the .rc files for the user interface definitions, which get
>  updated nearly every release, they just might trigger showing the HTML
>  toolbar again.
>
> If you turn off the HTML toolbar or uncheck Options->Formatting, the mails
> will be sent in plain text instead.
>
> Since many users seem to have this problems, I introduced a change in the
> behavior in trunk some weeks ago: Now HTML mails are only sent when you
> explicitly use HTML formatting, just showing the toolbar is not enough. I
>  hope that will stop these problems.

Thanks for the reply, Thomas.  The first time I realised that sending html
mail was actually possible was when I had a message bounce from the opensuse
list, due to html.  That would be the first release that had html composing.
Since then I must have turned it off in Options about 5 or 6 times.  It's not
that that's a big deal, but what is, is that you don't know you've done it
until it's too late.  Yes, I know a whole new toolbar appears, but I always
get on with the reply and never notice it.  My fault, that part - blind as a
bat ;-)

IOW, I'm so thankful that something has been done to stop the problem in the
future.  Thanks

Anne