[Kde-pim] Akonadi GroupDAV Resource

Marco Nelles marco at maniatek.de
Fri Oct 23 14:16:22 BST 2009

Hi Kevin,

> Any feedback on either (things which are hard to understand, not covered,
> etc)?

No, thanks, not yet. Most things I'm learning from the code of existing
resources.
I'm quite new with Akonadi, so I still learn alot for myself, mainly just by
reading the Akonadi code.

> One thing that is known to not be covered by this entry level tutorials is
> cache policies.

Yes, I really need to learn more about this.

> Each Akonadi collection has an associated CachePolicy object, which can be
> used to let Akonadi itself handle common things such as interval checking
>  (I saw that your config screenshot contains a kind of update interval
>  setting which you probably currently implement using a timer),

I've created a class called KGroupDAVProxy. This class contains a QTimer
syncing internal items (in a "QThreaded" syncing process) with an external
groupdav server. Every time item modifications detected a corresponding signal
(add,mod,del) is emitted.
My idea was just to use an object of this class in my Akonadi resource.
Beyond the documentation I've really wondered how to inform Akonadi about
changes in KGroupDAVProxy. I've solved this by starting
ResourceBase::synchronize() on a detected item modification after a
synchronization in a KGroupDAVProxy object. This is a "naive" implementaion
and not very effective, I know.

So, the cache policies could help me?

So far, best regards,

Marco