[Kde-pim] Synchronization support for Akonadi

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Oct 22 12:02:07 BST 2009

On Thursday 22 October 2009, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 08:51:16AM +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> >       * Keeping one log per app (as EDS does) that is flushed by
> > the app. Who deletes the log when the app gets uninstalled?
>
> This is a damn good question... :)
> We can't trust on the application here to cleanup the log I fear, so
> the SLA is responsible for that. One way could be, that the
> application registers itself with the path of its executable when
> creating a new log ( e.g. sla->createNewLog( 'uniqueident',
> '/usr/bin/evosync' ) ), then the SLA knows this log can be removed
> when the executable doesn't exists anymore.

With current hard disks it's unlikely that an unused application will be
uninstalled. I think it's much more likely that the user tries
different sync apps and then stays with one app. My personal experience
is that I almost never uninstall anything.

> Another way would be that
> the SLA removes logs that haven't been accessed for more than 6 month
> or so...
> The ideal solution doesn't exists here, I fear, so we have to choose
> the best possible one :)

An expiration date would definitely be needed.

Regards,
Ingo