[Kde-pim] Synchronization support for Akonadi

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Oct 20 16:13:31 BST 2009

Hi,

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 16:18:03 Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> > I'm wondering whether it wouldn't be better if each sync app would
> > provide its own custom tailored SLA. Of course, we could provide a
> > primitive SLA that could be used as template, but I doubt that we can
> > provide an SLA that fits the need of all sync apps.
>
> This seems to be what is currently done in some places, but has some
>  serious  drawbacks. What happens when Agents crash or when the internal
>  Akonadi database is getting reorganized (backend change for example)? The
>  agent would have to take track of each and everything, which is actually
>  the role of the Akonadi server. Furthermore we would have multiple storage
>  places again. And how should an Agent do that? Using a personal database
>  to guarantee integrity?

I agree that the current way to record notifications is not optimal, because
of crashes etc, like you mentioned.
Server-side change recording would solve this problem. In addition to that, we
could add timestamps to the notifications. With both those things in place,
that should provide what sync support need.
But then, I already tried to nudge Volker into implementing and he doesn't
have the time. Neither do I, currently.

Regards,
Thomas