[Kde-pim] Review Request: adds kmail support for RFC2369, List-* headers to display in preview pane with links to URLs

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Oct 7 21:08:47 BST 2009

On Wednesday 07 October 2009, Markus wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2009 23:44:15 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > I don't think
> > this justifies putting the information how to unsubscribe in the
> > header right in the user's face.
>
> As already told: It's not in "Brief" style.

I'm not going to use the ultra-spartan "Brief" style just because a
handful of people think wasting header space with List-* headers is a
leet idea. I'll rather patch KMail. The problem is that the majority of
KMail users don't know how to do this.

> AFAIK there's also a new
> theme engine in the works that makes it easier to create custom
> themes.

Yes, the Grantlee template system.

> So you'll get "Brief Fancy" soon enough.
> I think it's very good to at least have the options to display that
> information, but the option should not be in the options window, but
> based on the selected theme.

I agree.

> AFAIK the new theme engine will be available with KMail 2.0 / KDE
> 4.5. Maybe as compromise a drop-down menu could be used in the
> meantime...

I could live with that.

> > And, as you correctly say, on many mailing
> > lists this information is already included in the footer (which is
> > the correct place for such rarely needed information).
>
> On many, but not all. Evolution also has nice mailing list management
> features. IMO this feature increases the usability more than it
> hurts.

KMail also has nice mailing list management features, but they are bound
to folders and thus only useful if one has one folder per mailing list.

Regards,
Ingo