[Kde-pim] Synchronization support for Akonadi

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Oct 22 17:59:18 BST 2009

On Thursday, 2009-10-22, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 08:51 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > If you really want to add something, here are some points to consider:
> >       * Depending on time stamps - is time 100% guaranteed to be linear?
> >         Not in my experience.
> >       * Keeping a log that is shared by apps. How do you know when old
> >         entries are no longer needed? If you don't, the log will grow
> >         infinitely.
> >       * Keeping one log per app (as EDS does) that is flushed by the
> >         app. Who deletes the log when the app gets uninstalled?
>
> For the sake of completeness, here's another problem that I forgot to
> mention:
>       * When the sync app makes a change during a sync on behalf of a
>         peer, that change *should not* be reported back to it during the
>         next sync with that peer. Changes made by other apps  during a
>         sync *should* be reported.

We do have linear revisions for each of our data items so a sync app could
theoretically remember which revision it was responsible for.

Anyway. This got me thinking. Would it help if we also had some kind of global
revisions, e.g. like SVN does?
So "modified" would translate into "any item with a revision later than what
I've last seen".

(Assuming the sync app's Akonadi access is based on transactions)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring