[Kde-pim] Review Request: Add Tooltip to IdentityCombo

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Oct 21 21:13:20 BST 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > On 2009-10-21 16:43:45, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > I don't object to the patch, but I wonder why the identity is
> > > named "Unnamed" in the first place. Is it because the user was
> > > too lazy to chose a useful name? Maybe we should change the way
> > > identities are created. If one creates a new identity one is
> > > first asked for its name and whether one wants to copy the values
> > > of another identity. Maybe we should remove the need to specify a
> > > name for the identity. Instead we could use the email address as
> > > default name of the identity. Of course, the user could still
> > > change the name of the identity afterwards, but I guess most
> > > users won't want to do this. Obviously, this change would render
> > > your patch mostly superfluous because most of the time the
> > > tooltip wouldn't contain any new information. In particular,
> > > there won't be an identity called "Unnamed" anymore unless the
> > > user explicitly chose this name.
>
> I have no problem with the patch being obsoleted by a better approach
> ;-) I don't really like the Identities at all (too complex IMHO), so
> if it get's improved because I added this patch I'm happy.

I agree that the concept of identities is too complex for the normal
user. So we should try to hide this complexity from the user as much as
possible.

> But I'm not sure if using the address as Identity name would work.
> The question is, if it is possible that a user has several identities
> for the same address? I think there are possible use cases for that,
> e.g. email templates in different languages.

Yes, it's possible. In fact, I do have two identities for my kde.org
address. In this case we'd disambiguate the default name of the
identities by appending "#2" (or similar). There is no ideal solution
for this problem, but at least we can improve the situation for the
most common and most simple case were different identities correspond
to different email addresses. In fact, I think by far the most common
case is that the user has exactly one identity.

> And what to do about the
> default identity which is - in my case - called "unnamed"? They still
> need to be created and need a name even if there is no email address
> yet.

I don't understand. What situation do you mean? An identity without
email address does not make much sense because without email address
it's impossible to send messages. But even this case could easily be
covered.

Let's not dismiss an improvement of the common use case just because it
might make things a bit more complicated for the non-common use cases.

Regards,
Ingo