[Kde-pim] Reply to Author != Reply to Author ?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Oct 1 10:55:34 BST 2009

On Thursday 01 October 2009, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 September 2009, Martin Koller wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When I use kmail -> Reply To Author, currently there is some Reply-To
> > handling in the code (kmmessage.cpp).
> > I ask myself: why is this done ?
> > When I explicitely select to reply to the author, then wouldn't it be
> > enough to use the "from" address for the reply ?
>
> The RFCs say that a mail client should prefer the Reply-To address over
> the From address. Usually, the author did specify a different Reply-To
> address for a purpose.
>
> > With the current implementation, I have the following problem:
> >
> > I make a comment on bugs.kde.org.
> > Someone replies to that comment on bko, I receive a mail which has a
> > Reply-To header "Reply-To: bug-control at bugs.kde.org" and a From
> > header of the comment writer.
> >
> > I want to send the author of that comment another comment in private
> > mail, so I select "Reply To Author", but: kmail still wants to send
> > to bug-control at bugs.kde.org
>
> I suggest to remove the Reply-To header from incoming Bugzilla messages.

We don't want that. The reply-to header makes it so that people simply
replying to the mail, will get the reply archived into bugzilla.

The -goal- is that it works like a mailing-list (default reply -> public,
reply-to-author -> private). But maybe Reply-To isn't the right way for that?
How can we change the mail headers so that it basically looks like a mailing-
list named bug-control at bugs.kde.org? ;)