[Kde-pim] Synchronization support for Akonadi

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Fri Oct 23 06:27:21 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 18:59 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2009-10-22, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > For the sake of completeness, here's another problem that I forgot to
> > mention:
> >       * When the sync app makes a change during a sync on behalf of a
> >         peer, that change *should not* be reported back to it during the
> >         next sync with that peer. Changes made by other apps  during a
> >         sync *should* be reported.
>
> We do have linear revisions for each of our data items so a sync app could
> theoretically remember which revision it was responsible for.

Not just in theory, that's exactly how the TrackingSyncSource in
SyncEvolution works. It's easy to do when one has full control over
change tracking, but would have to be taken into account when moving
that into Akonadi itself.

> Anyway. This got me thinking. Would it help if we also had some kind of global
> revisions, e.g. like SVN does?
> So "modified" would translate into "any item with a revision later than what
> I've last seen".

That leads back to the problem above. Suppose revision A is the state at
the start of the sync. Now the sync adds an item on behalf of the peer
and the user adds another item while the sync runs, leading to revision
B at the end of the sync. "Any item with a revision later than A" would
include the item created by the sync, which is wrong for the next sync.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly
Patrick.Ohly at gmx.de
http://www.estamos.de/