[Kde-pim] mbox.protocol proposed patch

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Nov 6 20:19:48 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 November 2009, Bertjan Broeksema wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just realized that the commit was in the mbox kioslave, which is
> somewhat unrelated to the akonadi resource. probably it should be
> ported to libmbox.
>
> Anyways, a couple of lines (Feel free to ask for clarification if
> needed):
>
> == snip ==
> The mbox file format is an simple but rather inefficient way to store
> email messages. All messages are appended after each other in the
> same file separated by a special separator line. This gets especially
> expensive when you have many emails in the same file. This resource
> is provided mostly for backwards compatibility.
> == /snip ==

"resource" isn't really the correct term. I propose to scratch the last
sentence. Support for the mbox format is important for migrating mail
from one mail client to the other because it is supported by almost all
mail clients.

AFAIK, the mbox kioslave was used exclusively by the mailbox watcher
korn which was never ported to KDE 4. I wonder whether it is still used
nowadays. But since a kioslave is basically public API we will probably
not be able to get rid of it before KDE 5.

Regards,
Ingo