[Kde-pim] HTML support in Kmail

nicco ts nicco.ts at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 14:24:14 GMT 2009

Hi Guys,

this is the first time I'm writing to this mailing list.
Normally I wouldn't do that, but it could be the last chance how to speed up
some big problem in Kmail.
It's kind of special thing, because I know thousands of people don't use it
at all (including Kmail developers) and thousands of people who are
desperate about that (employees working in Outlook like companies).
Yes it is HTML e-mail support.

And I must also say, that it has poor level in Kmail comparing with the
leading products:
1. Microsoft Outlook
2. Yahoo Zimbra Desktop
3. Mozilla Thunderbird
4. Novell Evolution
5. IBM Lotus Notes

The question could appear why I bother you with this if I have 5 additional
clients I can use. Well, I can tell you, non of them is perfect and have
some drawbacks but the main thing is, they are not Qt4 and KDE4 integrated.

So is there a latitude to implement HTML into Kmail? Or is it wasting of
time to require it?

It's about 2 problems in Kmail:

1) is Bug 207779 which removes empty lines while composing in HTML
2) is  Bug 86423 when you Reply to HTML e-mail, then formating is destroyed
and placed as plain text and even point 1) is applied, so you also lose
empty lines.

Why it is so important?
Because in Outlook like companies e-mail is the main tool and if you discuss
something with 10 different people and everybody adds something into
history, everything is clearly separated by line from the bottom to the top.
So it isn't destroyed into plaintext and fonts, colors, pictures aren't
lost. Anytime you look back, then you see what this person wrote you and you
can refer to this.
I see you guys use separator in RE, which after while looks like this:

>>>la
>>>la
>>>la
>>ha