[Kde-pim] Calgo / Dav resources merge ?

Grégory Oestreicher greg at kamago.net
Sat Nov 7 11:14:33 GMT 2009

Hi all,

After some work done on a GroupDAV / CalDAV resource and a commit in
playground I was pointed on IRC to the Calgo resource, which implements
GroupDAV support.

I've clearly made a mistake here by not checking on this list earlier, or at
least announcing that some work was going on on my side since some time.
Hopefully it is not too late to begin a merge of both resource, so let's begin
by a little comparison, from my point of view at least.

For the plus side, that may help merging, both resources use a class that
talks to the DAV backend : KGroupDAVProxy for Calgo and davAccessor for Dav.
Now the drawback is that KGroupDAVProxy speaks only GroupDAV while davAccessor
is meant to be subclassed to talk GroupDAV or CalDAV (and work will begin for
CardDAV, but I'm still digesting the IETF draft).

Another thing that is nice with KGroupDAVProxy is that it is thread-safe,
while davAccessor and subclasses are not. Though this have never been an issue
in my tests, some day sheer luck won't be enough.

I am open to discussion about the better ways to merge both works and make the
best *DAV resource :)

Cheers,
Grégory