[Kde-pim] Review Request: Use colors from current color scheme

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Nov 14 23:00:58 GMT 2009

On Saturday 14 November 2009, Christoph Feck wrote:
> > On 2009-11-11 13:53:02, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > > Pink!? Then I object the patch, please find a better color role
> > > that matches blue and red more closely, with the default color
> > > scheme.
> > >
> > > Other than that, KMail also needs to be changed, same situation
> > > there. Since KMail doesn't use KConfigXT, the default colors are
> > > set in many places there: StorageModel::Private::loadSettings()
> > > in kdepim/messagelist/storagemodel.cpp
> > > AppearancePage::ColorsTab::doLoadOther() in
> > > kdepim/kmail/configuredialog.cpp StorageModel::StorageModel() in
> > > kdepim/kmail/messagelistview/storagemodel.cpp
> >
> > Christoph Feck wrote:
> >     Red color would be the "negative" role, but I don't see
> > anything "negative" in "new" messages, except maybe "do not miss
> > me!" :) Please decide.
> >
> >     The color scheme itself could also be changed to make the color
> > a bit darker, something like purple would look good. I am even
> > willing to file a bug report for Oxygen :)
> >
> >     And I have not looked at KMail yet, I just stumbled on
> > mentioned BR while browsing bko.
> >
> > Markus Slopianka wrote:
> >     Sorry, but your objection is illogical. It's not the patch's
> > fault that "new" is pink. It's Oxygen's fault. I can't comment
> > about the patch quality itself, but the overall cause is good. If
> > the patch quality is good, I'd like to see it submitted along with
> > a patch for Oxygen that changes pink to blue, green, orange or
> > whatever.
> >
> > Thomas McGuire wrote:
> >     Right now the patch (mis-)uses the color roles "LinkText" and
> > "ActiveText". They don't really map to new and unread. Why not
> > create new color roles in kdelibs for that? Then the colors for
> > that could have sane defaults as well, instead of trying random
> > color roles that happen to look a bit blue and reddish :)
> >
> >     Disclaimer: I'm neither an Akregator developer nor a color
> > expert.
>
> Thomas, please read kcolorscheme.h about intended usages of color
> roles before you are talking about misuse :)

Or read
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/classKColorScheme.html#a177a02c0381f00155148d1032f2aea82

According to this documentation ActiveText appears to be suitable for
new messages and LinkText for unread messages.

IMO it's unfortunate that one needs to read the documentation for this
because this indicates that the names of those color roles are not
chosen very well. In particular, LinkText and VisitedText are clearly
connected to web-browsers (or other applications showing links) and
applying those roles to other situations really requires bending your
mind.

Regards,
Ingo