[Kde-pim] KContactManager Name

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Sun May 3 15:07:07 BST 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 03 May 2009 15:20:56 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Sunday 03 May 2009 7:39:48 am laurent Montel wrote:

> > > Based on the results of this discussion, we should rename
> > > KContactManager to KAddressbook and remove the old KAddressbook.
> > >
> > > With the hard freeze coming tomorrow, we need to get this done ASAP.
> > >
> > > Any last objections?  I sure hope KContactManager is close to
> > > operational status.
> > >
> > > -Allen
> >
> > Hi,
> > I don't think that kcontactmanager is operational.
> > I am not sure that it's a good idea to replace kaddressbook.
> > ldap search is not implemented, we can't select multi-contact, we can't
> > add new resources etc.
> >
> > If there is not exception to improve kcontactmanager during hard freeze,
> > it's not a good idea to replace it
>
> Suggestions then?
> Remove KContactManager from the default 4.3 build and try again in 4.4?

I think it is the best to disable KContactManager for KDE 4.3 and go with
KAddressbook. In 4.4 we can remove KAddressbook then.

KContactManager hardly had any testing (yes, I myself should have tested it)
and is probably missing some important features, like Laurent mentioned (and
those are only a few, I wonder for example if KMail's "Open Contact in Address
Book" action works).

Ingo says it would get an outcry of "10 people", but giving the lack of QA and
missing features, I think this will be much more.

So I am strongly against enabling KContactManager for KDE 4.3. We should keep
KAddressbook as the only address book for now.

I'm also against any renaming tricks or even shipping both, that will just
confuse people.

Regards,
Thomas