[Kde-pim] 2009 introspective

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat May 9 10:23:19 BST 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 11:10:18 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> a couple of points to start with, the others might have additional ones or
> correct mine

looks quite complete already, I only have two small additions to the pain
section.

> On Monday, 2009-05-04, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Hi...
> >
> > I'm putting together a "where are we now, where are we going" snapshot of
> > as many of the "big pieces" in KDE 4 as possible, and I'd like some input
> > from you on Kontact (KMail, KOrganizer, Akregator, etc) and Akonadi.
> >
> > In particular, what I'm looking for are 2-4 bullet items for each of
> > these two questions:
> >
> > * What have been the defining achievements in the last year?
>
> * Getting Akonadi "out there", i.e. making sure it can access the same data
> KDE applications use through the KResource framework (resource migration)
>
> * Start of porting KResource based applications, notably KPilot
>
> * Refactoring and modernisation of the big applications (KOrganizer, KMail)
> to prepare them for porting (switch to model/views, etc)
>
> > * What are the main focus points and or goals for the project in 2009?
>
> * Porting the main applications
>
> * Reduce dependency on resource bridges by implementing respective "native"
> resources
>
> * Enable new developers to add resources we didn't have before, e.g. Google
> Data resource
>
> > If you're feeling extra helpful, you might want to also provide some
> > input on:
> >
> > * What are the major pain points in your project right now?
>
> Personally:
> * KResources being used in strange places, usually synchronous (blocking),
> applications assuming certain behavior which is in conflict with the plugin
> API contract
>
> Generally I guess:
> * KDE PIM applications having code fragments dating back to KDE1 times,
> having been through several "generations" of maintainers, a lot of internal
> assumptions making them difficult to change in isolated parts
>
> * Not having enough resources to simultaniously maintain a stable version
> and port to Akonadi, e.g. lots of necessary work done on KOrganizer
> (stability, bug fixes), little or no progress towards its Akonadi port

We still have quite some trouble with the database backend used in Akonadi.
MySQL seemd to work for us, but even there Thomas found a rather severe bug
recently. Adenilson and Igor are currently trying to get the Akonadi server
working with Sqlite despite all its shortcomings, to make it easier to use on
mobile devices, from what I have seen it can't get any more painful...

Another problem is OpenSync and their lack of a stable API release.

> > * Outside of the core libs (kdecore, kdeui, kio, kfile) what are the most
> > critical pieces of KDE technologies that your project is relying on?
>
> * kdepimlibs and Akonadi server obviously
> * libical

regards
Volker