[Kde-pim] My Idea for GSoC Sieve project

Sanja Puvalic sanja.puvalic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 20:42:36 GMT 2009

Hello,
I'm Sanja Puvalic, student from Belgrade University, Faculty of Mathematics.

I have an idea how I would work on project "import/export for filtering
rules in Sieve format in KMail"
I already tried getting some feedback on the developers mailing list, and
got no replies. I hope I'll be luckier here :)
My idea in brief:

- study the k-mail filter format

- make a small parser using lex and yacc to convert to sieve format
this in convinient because it's more flexible and the replacement can be
done more automaticly - and we don't have to spend a lot of time writing
code for parsing various commands in c++ - just try to fit the Kmail mail
rule to the Kmail mail filters grammar which we can write, and automaticly
generate a Sieve command

- check if the server supports sieve
    - if it does, upload to server
    - if not, make exporting easy

- exporting:

if we can afford to make the export file readable (if we don't care about
security and privacy issues), the mail rule export format could be very
similar to a sieve command itself
if not, we could do some simplest encrypting by, for example, just xor-ing
the file to "sieve-is-cool", and then xor back when importing to kmail.

Let me know what you think of my idea, am I on the right track? :)

Best regards,
Sanja