[Kde-pim] Right-To-Left (RTL) Support in KMail's Composer

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Jun 2 15:45:55 BST 2009

Hi,

On Monday 01 June 2009 20:39:28 Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> After some tests... I can say that implementing this feature (RTL support
> for HTML mail in the composer) is quite trivial. I did this on a plain Qt4
> application as I don't have a development environment for KDE4, but in
> theory this should not be that hard to port.
>
> This is part of the code I wrote. It's not perfect, when I change the
> direction of the paragraph, the alignment is not changed on screen, even
> tough that when exporting to HTML I do see the direction+layout saved in
> the correct manner.

The way to go here would be that someone modifies KRichTextEdit +
KRichTextWidget in kdelibs to include those changes. Then it is only 1
additional line in an RC file to add the RTL action to KMail.

Is there a way to detect if the current locale is RTL? If so, we could only
add the action to the toolbar if that would be the case, since LTR users don't
need that button.

No idea about your bug with the alignment not showing, that would need to be
solved first.
Isn't that solved by the third solution in your blog at
http://elcuco2.blogspot.com/2008/10/qtextedit-and-qtextcursor-fun.html or am I
missing something?

Regards,
Thomas