[Kde-pim] Development environment

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Tue Jun 2 05:52:58 BST 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009 14:27:29 Frank Thieme wrote:

> So what do you guys use for KDE/Kmail development?

Since I need something that works the same on Linux, Windows and Mac, I was
using Eclipse for a while. It's good, and the new C++ parser and refactoring
support in CDT5 is nice, but it's a big and unwieldy beast. I tried KDevelop4
on Linux and Mac, until they introduced a dependency on kdebase/workspace,
which killed the Mac build. It seemed very promising, up to that point. Once
it's reliably available on all three platforms I need, I'll check it out
again.

For the moment I'm using QtCreator, which works out surprisingly (to me, at
least) well. It's C++/Qt support is nice, if not as great as KDevelop4's and
obviously the Qt integration is perfect. It does git, subversion, qmake and
cmake, which covers my bases. I have kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase, kdepimlibs
and kdepim projects in a KDE session and it's plenty fast with all that loaded
at the same time. And it actually does work the same on all three platforms,
which is a big plus in my day to day work. No, Matthias did not pay me to say
this, nor did he bribe me with beers, shoes or promises of big projects. ;)

That said, I still use vim as well, mostly when semi-automatic text
manipulation is needed.

Till

--
Till Adam <adam at kde.org>