[Kde-pim] Migrating pim configuration

Horacio hsanson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 02:08:56 BST 2009

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 03:16:17 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 27 July 2009, David Jarvie wrote:
> > On Monday 27 July 2009 09:01, Horacio wrote:
> > > Not sure if this is the mailing list to ask user questions but I
> > > could not find a kdepim-users mailing list.
> >
> > There is indeed a kdepim-users mailing list - it's listed at
> > http://lists.kde.org.

Thanks, I will look into the mailing list and join the corresponding one.

> > > With KDE4.2.4 installed using default Kubuntu packages I use rsync
> > > to keep my
> > > pim configuration and data in sync between my desktop at home and
> > > at work.
> > >
> > > This is a little cumbersome but works pretty well. Unfortunately
> > > recently I installed a new laptop with Kubuntu 9.04 and no matter
> > > what I do, even copy my
> > > whole home directory to the laptop, all kde pim applications do not
> > > detect my configurations.
> > >
> > > For example kmail has no accounts configured, akregator has no
> > > feeds registered and the address book is empty. Below you can see
> > > the list of files
> > > and directories I rsync. Is there any other files/dirs I need to
> > > copy in order
> > > to migrate my PIM data from one machine to another without having
> > > to configure each application manually?
> > >
> > > .kde/share/apps/kmail/
>
> [snip]
>
> > > .kde/share/config/basketrc
> >
> > Do you perhaps have different UIDs on the two machines, so that the
> > user doesn't have the necessary read/write permissions on the files
> > you have copied over? It should work if the files belong to the
> > correct user.
>
> Or could it be that on one of the two machines ~/.kde4 is used instead
> of ~/.kde?

Both machines are kubuntu but one is using KDE4.2.4 and the new one is using
KDE4.3 RC.

Anyway I managed to fix the problem by removing all the resources from the
akonadi resource manager. The procedure I followed was:

 - Close all Kde PIM related applications (kmail, akregator, kaddressbook,
korganizer)

- Open akonadi configuration in the advanced tab in system settings

- Removed everything from the akonadi resource list, I mean everything.

- Stop akonadi server.

- rsync the contents of my old PC to the new one (see rsync folders in
previous email)

- start kontact.

- enjoy....

I still see the akonadi server starting and some migration dialog opening
some times but for the rest I got all my data back.

thanks
Horacio