[Kde-pim] Fixing D-Bus interfaces as we go

Samat K Jain samat at samat.org
Mon Jul 13 22:00:50 BST 2009

On Monday 13 July 2009 4:34:15 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Strange, I thought this was specified somewhere.
> It might have been discussed on the D-Bus list.

If you can find a reference, please do... everyone I've talked to thinks D-Bus disallows method overloading, but has been unable to actually find a reference.

> Well, if it isn't forbidden (I still have the nagging feeling that I read this
> somewhere), we can continue using our usual approach.

While it may not be forbidden, I definitely don't like the current approach. It makes methods completely inaccessible to languages that don't support overloading (Python, Perl, etc) and utilities that behave differently (qdbus). Interoperability on paper is worthless if you're not actually interoperable.

What's the best way to remedy this?

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

Corollary to Pierce's Law: When a compiler accepts a program without error on the first run, the program will not yield the desired output
-- None (571)