[Kde-pim] Review Request: Fix KMail crashy krazy2 issues

Michael Leupold lemma at confuego.org
Sun Jul 12 23:06:59 BST 2009

On Sunday 12 July 2009 22:27:15 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On 2009-07-08 06:49:59, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > Michael Leupold wrote:
> >     After the discussion on k-c-d it seems we'll be using QScopedPointer
> > for KDE 4.4. What about this patch? Should we fix this using QPointer and
> > merge this into the 4.3 branch to avoid possible crashes inside kontact,
> > fix it using a private copy of KAutoPointer or leave it till we get the
> > Qt class?
>
> QScopedPointer will not magically fix this problem because QScopedPointer
> is unaware of QObject's feature to eat its children on deletion. This means
> that QObjects which have a parent should never be used with QScopedPointer
> because this will very likely lead to double deletion problems.

Yes, you are right. I think I'm getting confused with all the Q*Pointers and
was under the impression QScopedPointer was QSharedPointer+QPointer while it
seems to be QSharedPointer-refcounting.

> So, until the problem is solved as we discussed on k-c-d (Lubos and Thiago
> suggested that an application showing a modal dialog should refuse to
> quit), it might be a good idea to use AutoQPointer for the time being.

Yes. Using a private copy seems to be a good workaround for the moment. Any
thoughts on wether this should be merged to the 4.3 branch prior/after the .0
release?

Regards,
Michael