[Kde-pim] KDE 4.2 KPilot coming! (how to both be excited and have realistic expectations)

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Tue Jan 20 05:21:06 GMT 2009

Hi Ryan! =:)

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at umdnj.edu>wrote:

> Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:

> > So, in closing, I hope this helps to get all you Palm users excited about
> > our new version of KPilot. Never before has KPilot looked so good, been
> as
> > careful with your data, or been easier to help debug, extend, and help
> out
> > with. There will be some challenges, as there are with any new major
> version
> > of software (and this is a doozie, all around!!!). But I'm really pleased
> > with what we have and where we can go from here.
> >
> > Thanks, enjoy, and please give us feedback!! As always, bugs should be
> > reported to bugs.kde.org, e-mails should be sent to kdepim-users at kde.org
> ,
> > and more-or-less real-time help can be found in #kpilot on FreeNode
> IRC.=:)
>
> I even read all the way to the bottom! ;)

Heh! =:) Thanks!!

> I'm using KDE 4.2 beta from the Ubuntu PPA. What would you say is the
> easiest way for someone like me to help you test? I wonder since it's
> not a full release if I'll have trouble obtaining all of the
> dependencies or anything like that for building?

I'd say the best way to get started would be to run "sudo apt-get build-dep
kdepim4-kpilot" (assuming that's what the package is called in ubuntu). That
should get all of the build dependencies for KPilot. Then follow the
instructions at http://kpilot.org/develop.php for checking out the latest
KPilot source code from svn (you want the "branches/KDE/4.2/kdepim/kpilot"
source.

>From there on, what would be most useful is trying as many different things
you can think of with your Palm and KPilot, syncing between it and Akonadi.
(PLEASE make sure you make and keep good backups of your PC and Palm data
first, though!!)  You'll want to start kpilot with "kpilotDaemon --debug=9 >
~/kpilotDaemon.debug 2>&1" so that if you do find any problems you'll have a
good log that will help me get a better idea of where things might be going
wrong. =:)

Thanks!!

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-