[Kde-pim] Syncronization issue with Akonadi

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 17:13:29 GMT 2009

Volker Krause wrote:
>> Is this a plausible scenario?
>
> It is. How to handle that correctly depends a bit on how the groupware
> server handles conflicts.

Well, it might not be a groupware server, but a remote filesystem with kjots
books and pages, or a maildir on a remote server, or vcard dir, etc. I
don't think you can depend on any conflict resolution there.

> If it doesn't provide any way to detect that,
> Akonadi (and any other client) might indeed overwrite changes on the
> server that happend inbetween. The other direction can be handled by the
> resource though. Like in the conflict scenarios discussed earlier, the
> application triggering it (the resource) is responsible to dealing with
> that. That's one reason why resources are actually GUI applications and
> can bring up dialogs.

I see. Might be useful alright.

> For detection, given no server side support, we might need a "remote
> revision" property per item that contains the revision of the last change
> synced with the backend. Changes from the backend would then considered
> conflicts if the item revision is higher than that remote revision, ie.
> there are unsynced local changes. Not sure if there is a backend at all
> that doesn't provide any help with this though.

Yeah, that was the kind of thing I was thinking of too. We'll have to see if
it makes sense.

regards,

Steve.