[Kde-pim] [kdepim-users] KDE 4.2 KPilot coming! (how to both be excited and have realistic expectations)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jan 22 18:03:57 GMT 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:17 AM, Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:

> > Note that there is a tool to do the Akonadi setup automatically,
> > kres-migrator. With a recent version of libakonadi it will be run
> > automatically when starting KPilot, if it doesn't you can also run it
> > manually:
> > kres-migrator --omit-client-bridge --interactive
>
> Cool! Will this change be distributed with KDE 4.2? This is _very_ good
> news! =:)

The migrator has been activated with KDE 4.2 beta1, however we slightly
modified the scope for the final release such that it will only do
the "backend" migration (that's the --omit-client-bridge option in Volker's
command).

To phrase this a bit differently and hopefully better understandably:
Any Akonadi application will automatically have access to the same data KDE
PIM applications have access too. Basically Akonadi is just another
application accessing the same files.

The KDE PIM applications will still access it through the current means.
We would have loved to given them access to Akonadi as well, but this part of
the compatibility facilities has proven to be too unreliable.

The drawback is that there will be a bit of delay between Akonadi
applications, such as KPilot, applying changes to data and the KDE PIM
applications "seeing" it.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring