[Kde-pim] KDE 4.2 KPilot coming! (how to both be excited and have realistic expectations)

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Jan 24 11:01:06 GMT 2009

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> I just wanted to get a note out to as wide a distribution list as
> possible to spread some important news about the upcoming KDE 4.2
> release and KPilot's (exciting!!) part in it. If you don't care about

I just got Akonadi working and tested kpilot "Version 5.2.0-rc1 (KDE
4.2.0) Unter KDE 4.1.96 (KDE 4.1.96 (KDE 4.2 RC1))" against my Palm
Centro.

The initial sync went fine (kOrganizer and the KDE addressbook were
empty, and all records from my Centro got replicated.

I tried editing calendar entries in kOrganizer, editing the subject of
four appointments and changing categories. (I deleted category "Nicht
abgel." ("Unfil.") within kOrganizer, as there also was a category "Nicht
abgelegt" ("Unfiled") and changed the category of the four appointments
from "Nicht abgel." to "Sport".)

On the next sync, kpilot complained about an "invalid record mapping",
did a full sync, and I ended up with both my old and my edited
appointments on both systems:

11:46:24 [Abgleichmodul kpilot-conduit-calendar]
11:46:27 Invalid record mapping. Doing first sync.
11:46:27 Doing first sync. This may take a while.
11:46:29 HH data proxy: Beginn: 159. Ende: 164.5 Neu(e).
11:46:29 PC data proxy: Beginn: 160. Ende: 164.4 Neu(e).

Then I deleted the old entries on kOrganizer again and did a third sync,
which did not change anything, ie. the deletion was not replicated:

11:48:22 [Abgleichmodul kpilot-conduit-calendar]
11:48:25 HH data proxy: Beginn: 164. Ende: 164.Keine Änderungen
durchgeführt.
11:48:25 PC data proxy: Beginn: 164. Ende: 164.Keine Änderungen
durchgeführt.

I'll continue to test kpilot the next days and I'm already curious how
well it will sync my contacts. So far my very first impression is rather
good, kpilot did not lose any data so far and at least it did work at
all, in contrast to kpilot from KDE 3.5.x with x >= 5.

Greetings,

  Gunter