[Kde-pim] Progress on the models stuff I've been doing

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:24:22 GMT 2009

Hi,

A few days ago I checked in some enhancements and documentation for the
EntityTreeModel stuff I've been doing.

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/pim/kjotsrewrite/akonadi_next/

http://api.kde.org/playground-api/pim-
apidocs/kjotsrewrite/akonadi_next/html/index.html

I also have some notes in entitytreemodel.h about the stuff that needs to be
done. Please read and review the notes and documentation. I'd also like to
hear what you think about the design or the idea that every akonadi
application would have an EntityTreeModel at its core. Note that it has api
like getCollection(Collection::Id) for syncronous access to entites that the
application pulled from akonadi.

 The implementation still needs some work, and I need to write another few
classes before real applications can be made with it. Also the Collection
move and Item move stuff I brought up in Osnabruck needs to be finished before
moving by drag and drop (and moves reported by akonadi) work right.

I'll also write a Akonadi::AbstractEntityModel which adds a
indexAboutToBeMoved signal and a Akonadi::AbstractProxyModel which handles
and reemits that signal.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.general/10723

I feel like these classes are a bit out on the edge, so I want to make sure
that other akonadi people know about them and agree that they are useful and
if they don't agree then say so. They are intended to replace
CollectionModel and ItemModel. They implement lazy population using
canFetchMore, but there is no API for pruning a tree yet. I'll maybe add
that too if it's really needed.

I'll be writing a couple of example applications hopefully before Berlin
including one using a calendar/korganizer-like
proxymodel which makes an EntityTree look like a time table of events.

All the best,

Steve