[Kde-pim] KMail merged folder properties - Bug 115611

Jonathan Marten jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 10:43:22 GMT 2009

Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> writes:
> Please read the corresponding thread:
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-usability/2004-November/thread.html
>
> Unfortunately, openusability.org doesn't seem to respond so I cannot
> download their report atm. :-(

Thanks Ingo for the pointer, I've read through that thread.  I also
remember looking through the report when it was originally produced
(and not agreeing with every point, but that's just IMHO).

As far as I can remember the objection to having all the settings in
one tabbed dialogue was that casual users would not explore beyond the
first tab, i.e. Jan Muehlig says:

> The Tabs structure of the current dialog is rather difficult. If you
> consider the data on tab 2 and 3 "not so important", then putting
> something on tab 2 or 3 can be learned as "ignore it". This is in

Therefore having the actions on the RMB or menubar menu makes it clear
that they are available, without having to explore every tab of every
dialogue - e.g. it is obvious that a "Mailing List" function is there
without having to go to the 5th tab of the properties dialogue.  But -
and maybe I didn't make this clear enough in my original message -
initially I was not proposing to remove the actions from the
RMB/menubar menu, apart from the dangerous "rebuild" ones.  They would
all stay where they are now, but instead of leading to a dedicated
dialogue they would open the properties dialogue at the appropriate
tab.  So the user action to invoke a particular function does not
change, and there is nothing to be relearned.  Hopefully this would
keep to the aims of the usability study.

So, in that case, what's the point of changing?  Now advanced users
can remove the actions from the RMB menu (by setting the hidden
configuration option) and/or the menubar menu (by editing their rc
file).  Result, smaller and cleaner menus.  The single properties
dialogue can be summoned with a keystroke (the standard Alt-Return)
regardless of what setting is needed, helping with mouseless
operation.

After all, the current system has been described (in the bug report)
as "horribly confusing".  That can't be good...

Regards, Jonathan

--
Jonathan Marten                         http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Twickenham, UK                          jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk