[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/kresources/akonadi/kabc

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Wed Feb 4 23:33:46 GMT 2009

Hi Kevin,

On Thursday 05 February 2009 00:00:22 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2009, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > SVN commit 920776 by krake:
> >
> > Implement synchronous operations during load using QtConcurrent for
> > blocking instead of nested event loops. The other approach resulted in
> > weird errors in applications not expecting this kind of reentrancy.
> >
> > If this doesn't lead to any regressions, I'll backport it to 4.2
> > Please help testing!
>
> Anyone had a chance testing with that modification?

Not yet, When I do my next svn update, I'll re-enable my "is in addressbook"
filter and see if I still get duplicate mails.

> I am having a weird behavior of certain apps, e.g. KAddressBook. They don't
> quit correctly. They seem to shutdown (window closes, etc) but the process
> stays around.

Normally, a KDE application is quit when the reference count of KGlobal
reaches 0. Main windows, system tray icons and KJobs hold references to
KGlobal when they exist (they call KGlobal::ref() and KGlobal::deref()).

So what probably is happening is that there is a dangling reference somewhere,
most likely a KJob that wasn't deleted. You can probably catch this by placing
breakpoints in ref() and deref() and see when a deref() is missed.

I remember that Akregator had (has?) a bug like this, there was a dangling
reference after viewing the full article under some circumstances.

> Kontact doesn't show this behavior, not even with KAddressBook part being
> active.

That is because I added an ugly hack to Kontact, which I've just removed again
in r921392.

> Neither does KABCClient.

Is that a command line application? If so, it probably doesn't use the
reference count system to detect when it should quit, and therefore a dangling
reference wouldn't trigger this bug.

> So I am not sure this isn't cause by something else.

Regards,
Thomas